God of the Fire Poem
This poem is based on my real life experiences of living through some very scary wildfires in Oregon. Not being familiar with the area, I did my best to learn and prepare. As bad as it was, it could have been much worse. Always grateful for our firefighters who brave danger for all of us. And that includes the loggers who graciously donate their time and resources to help fire containment efforts 🛻 🪵
I was living out west in Southern Oregon.
It’s
beautiful surroundings, taking it all in.
Then summer
came; things got very dry.
After a lightning
storm, flames began to fly.
I woke up
smelling smoke, not knowing what occurred.
The smoke’s
thick haze caused the sun’s light to blur.
Went to my
phone, looked up local pages.
Began to
learn we had the fire of the ages.
Indoors I
stayed, to avoid all the smoke.
I tried hard
to smile, but this was no joke.
My to-go bag
packed, Jeep filled with gas.
Ready to
evacuate, but praying it will pass.
I prayed for
cool weather, I prayed for some rain.
I prayed for
the firefighters, battling all the flames.
No smoking,
no starting my car on dry grass.
Taking
nothing for granted, as the days passed.
Slowly, but
surely we made good progress.
The fire’s control
started to regress.
Now, time to
rebuild and time to heal.
Check in
with loved ones, share a good meal.
Yes, it was
scary and down to the wire.
But I placed
my faith in the God of the fire.
photo by: Matt Palmer. Unsplash.
Comments
Post a Comment