I'm a Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR)...Now what?

Well folks, I did it. I passed my DTR exam. After much studying and applying what I've learned, I have officially earned and am currently maintaining my DTR credentials. While this sounds impressive, it is however, a mere beginning. I'll explain.

First, to put this in a better context, I graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh's Nutrition program (Bachelors of Science) in May. This qualified me to apply for dietetic internships, which are needed to sit for the RD exam. During my last semester at Plattsburgh, I only applied to one internship program, which was affiliated with NYU and a VA hospital in the Bronx. I was not matched for the internship, although NYU accepted me into their Masters program in Nutrition. I chose to turn it down because I'm looking to be an RD and therefore need the internship. Besides, I just got my Bachelors and NYU tuition would be a huge cost. I therefore prepared to take the DTR exam. DTRs work under/with RDs and being a DTR can look good for internships. So after studying a bunch I passed the DTR exam, adding the credentials to my name. I have since been doing online continuing education programs and Academy quizzes as part of my DTR requirements. I have also been looking for work experience as a DTR. Although I've interviewed for 3 places, no one has decided to hire me. Admittedly I don't have prior work experience as a DTR but then again that's why I'm looking everywhere to gain this experience.

In the meantime, I have been working part-time at a local hospital I've been with for the past 2 + years, as a Dietary Aide, working in the Kitchen and taking meals to patients. As of now its the only work I can get, so I try to make myself as available as possible. I'm also applying to some distance dietetic internships. One particular program, offers a part-time option which would still allow me to work. These are unpaid internships that often cost $10-12K so saving up money is a must.

Since distance internships allow interns to chose their own sites/preceptors, I've used the "Preceptor Database" from the Academy of Nutrtion and Dietetics. I've emailed around a dozen RDs, most of whom did not respond; although I did get a few potential preceptors. Throughout this entire process I'm trying my best to stay positive and work constructively with others to reach my goal. I've had professors, a campus RD and my work supervisor write me letters of recommendation, as I've done exemplary work for them. By realizing my potential and working with a solid support group, I'm confident that I will become an RD. #RD2B #Dietetics  #Internships

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural News Article: Curcumin vs. Cancer

A Page From Life (Poem)

Help for Maui Hawaii (Updated)