Joseph Albrecht, RDN

I did it. I passed my RD exam, becoming the licensed health professional I've sought to be. It was for me a long and trying journey with many ups and downs. From college, to getting accepted into an internship, to being responsible for securing all 5 preceptors for my rotations without any prior local connections. Yes it was a challenge, yet I persevered. I would like to highlight what's drawn me to this field, things that have helped me reach my goals, where challenges lie ahead and my goals for the future.

Since I was 16, I've been passionate about healthy eating and nutrition. It all started from listening to a Registered Dietitian on the radio who listed scientifically-backed benefits of various fruits, vegetables and other wholesome foods. As I looked more into the research behind sound nutrition, I became convinced of the field's importance and was eager to play my part in it. This led me to seek out colleges offering nutrition programs. When my mom mentioned SUNY Plattsburgh to me I looked into their program and felt it was the right choice for me. While I received mostly As and Bs, some courses were very challenging; particularly at the upper levels. I had to take a few classes over because my grade was not above a C. This also meant I would be paying personally for an extra year of classes.

Something about having to redo classes made me kick myself into a higher gear. I ended up finishing my last semester with a 3.65 GPA and had graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition despite my challenges. Now it was time for applying to internships. I made the mistake of applying to just one internship I liked affiliated with NYU. My professors told me I should apply to at least 4 or 5. I was informed that I was not accepted to their internship, although I was accepted into their master's program. I felt that the internship and becoming an RD was more important to me at the time in the summer of 2017. Having been rejected from my first choice, I decided to boost my credentials and become a DTR (Dietetic Technician, Registered). I passed my exam in August 2017 and sought experience as a DTR. From there I had multiple job interviews but no placements. Keeping my spirits up, I continued to put my best efforts forward.

Around this time, I became aware via my SUNY Plattsburgh email of a distance internship program through Daemen College. I immediately applied and was overwhelmed with joy once accepted. Yet, because this was a distance internship, I had to secure preceptors for all of my rotations (a total of 5 RDs). I immediately went to a local hospital where I had worked/volunteered for 3 years. They where the only local source of RDs I knew. I was shocked when they said they were unable to help me because at the time I was still working for them per-diem and hoped to still do so to earn some money during my internship. Discouraged, but not shaken, I searched near and far for preceptors, using the Academy's "Find a Preceptor Database", and contacting all local food stores/businesses and healthcare organizations I knew. While it was a long and trying process I was eventually able to secure preceptors for all of my rotations. For every yes, I got at least 5 nos. Once my internship got rolling it became easier to make connections and boost my confidence. I was very fortunate to get into my internship and meet the amazing preceptors that I had. Each rotation: MNT 1&2, retail and institutional foodservice, community nutrition 1&2, MNT outpatient and clinical allowed me to apply different skills to the field. I got to work with the developmentally disabled, local food banks, a grocery store, an online private practice, a bariatric practice and a nursing/rehab center. It was very inspiring and uplifting to see the positive impact of nutrition on so many people.

Having successfully completed my 1,200 hour internship, I now buckled down to prepare for my RD exam. Since nearly everyone I knew recommended Jean Inman's study guide and classes, I enrolled to take her prep course which came with the study guide. Her guide and her teaching of the material where very helpful to me. I also used the CDR's 10th edition study guide and Quizlet practice Qs, however Inman's guide was my main resource. After studying for about a month and a half after my internship, I signed up to take the test. While it was challenging, I felt I was prepared and strongly recommend the Inman study guide to all taking the exam. Seeing my passing score sent a wave of excitement, accomplishment and relief through me. I had finally accomplished my goal of becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. I still feel empowered, knowing that if I can accomplish this challenging task I can certainly accomplish future challenges.

While the field of dietetics has many positives, it is not without its difficulties. One of these for me is full-time employment with an appropriate salary. On Long Island it is very expensive and based on all the education and experience RDNs go through I feel like the initial pay scale is for the most part, lower than it ought to be. I also see far more per-diem and part-time jobs than full-time, which is unfortunate because I look at this as a career. While I'm ok with piecing together multiple jobs at the start, I eventually want something full-time. This field is also expensive considering that you need a minimum of a Bachelor's in Nutrition/related field and an internship which in many cases costs close to another year of school. Starting in 2024, everyone will need a Masters (in any field of an accredited university) to be eligible to sit for the RD exam. This was, I was emailed by CDR, to ensure a varied learning experience of RDNs. While it mentioned increased pay benefits ($2.63 more per hour in 2015), I along with many others still feel that this field does not pay enough when considering similar healthcare education experience such as a Registered Nurse, Physical Therapist or Speech Language Pathologist. Hopefully more employers will place increased value on RDNs and the field of Dietetics as a whole. Until then, we as RDNs, DTRs and Academy members need to voice our concerns in a respectful and constructive manner to facilitate this change.

For now I am working with one of my preceptors who introduced me to nutrition care for the developmentally disabled population. His insight and experience has taught  me a lot and I am grateful to have some RDN-related work experience. I am still seeking out full-time jobs and keeping my eyes open for best offers. I will continue to put my best efforts forward to drive me to new heights!

-Joseph Albrecht, RDN



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural News Article: Curcumin vs. Cancer

A Page From Life (Poem)

Help for Maui Hawaii (Updated)