My Experience as an RDN So Far: Yearly Reflection.

After passing my exam on October 23rd, I've since been hired full time at a nursing home/rehab center on Long Island. I have had the privilege of being trained by a highly-competent RDN, working with dedicated nursing/medical staff and applying my skills to further individual care. I'd like to share just some of my daily work experiences with you.


  • Attending morning meeting with Nursing Supervisors, the Director of Nursing, the Administrator, Social Work, Rehab and other departments. Issues and concerns are addressed along with plans to resolve them.
  • Tracking weights of residents on a weekly and monthly basis, noting any significant gains or losses X 1, 3 and 6 months and developing appropriate interventions.
  • Interviewing new residents on diet preferences while providing tailored dietary counseling to meet their needs. 
  • Attending resident care plan meetings with nursing and social work to address specific individual and family concerns.
  • Updating nutrition assessments that come due, adding new information as applicable.
  • Ordering and adjusting diets/tube feedings and supplements as needed to optimize nutritional status. 
  • Informing our DTR of any diet changes I make so that our menu system and clinical software match up.
  • Updating health information/reviews for Medicare insurance purposes.
I enjoy being part of a comprehensive healthcare team and offering my insights on specific circumstances. While disappointments and challenges occur, I feel I have an adequate support team which helps to address them. Hopefully I will continue to bring the best of my nutrition know-how to offer the best care available. Each day, I look for new things to learn or improve on. This to me is a helpful guide to being a respected member of our residents' healthcare team. 

2018 has exceeded all of my expectations for pursuing nutrition as a career. From getting into an internship, to excelling in my rotations to passing the RD exam and gaining full time work experience. I am humbled and grateful to have many gifted teachers, a supportive family, great friends/colleagues and valuable opportunities. I hope it has been a good year for you as well. May the new year bless you with health, happiness and success in what you desire. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural News Article: Curcumin vs. Cancer

A Page From Life (Poem)

Help for Maui Hawaii (Updated)