Poverty And Loss In The Age Of Abundance

 "The storehouse is full beyond measure. The presses burst forth with new wine. Your blessing is on us. Your Word filled with promise; but one prayer fills this heart of mine. Come on down, Lord Jesus and take us away..."-Hymn (Come On Down Lord Jesus)

"America is the wealthiest nation on earth" I've heard this so much, it hurts my ears. Look around the downtown in just about any city and you'll see there are many that are far from rich; at least in terms of money. I think it's high time for humility. It's time we shave, wash up and take a good look at ourselves in the mirror. See any flaws? I know I do. So then, let's take some time to stop competing with those around us. Comparison has been termed the theft of joy. I agree with this. There's always someone stronger, smarter, richer, etc than you and I. Therefore let's use what we actually do have. As John The Baptist said “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do the same.”-Luke 3: 10-12. Our Lord Jesus echoed similar virtues. 

At the end of the day, it's not how much we've puffed up ourselves, but what we did for those most vulnerable that counts. Personally, I serve U.S. Veterans daily on my job. I help my church as a lector and Eucharistic minister. I donate to my churches local food bank. I go on bike rides with troubled youth, and work with others to help get their lives on track. I support local businesses, and my farmer's market whenever I can. I offer prayers for those who may be out of my direct reach or for my own direction. 

Everybody has something good that they can share with others. Let's step out in faith and offer it willingly. "...Freely you have received; freely give."-Matthew 10:8. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural News Article: Curcumin vs. Cancer

A Page From Life (Poem)

Help for Maui Hawaii (Updated)