My Self-Reflection in Nutrition #NNM (National Nutrition Month)


Over the five years that I’ve been studying, critiquing and interpreting the science of nutrition, I’ve learned a great deal on how to best apply this practice towards my career goals.  The satisfaction of using nutrition for bettering individual and collective health motivates me to pursue this field to its fullest.  As a result, I have actively sought out and opened many doors, allowing me to diversify my abilities as an RD to be.   

On campus, for example, I began doing a nutrition radio show.  This helps me with the crucial task of dissecting scientific studies into lay language for the general public.  I learned the dos and don’ts of scientific communication, which will help me latter on when counseling patients and/or clients.  During nutrition lectures, I’ve actively participated, asking questions to help clarify material.  Nutrition classes have also presented additional opportunities to apply myself.  For example, in my nutrition ed. and counseling class last semester, my professor asked if anyone was interested in giving a lecture to the diabetes support group at C.V.P.H.  I eagerly agreed to do this, and was well-received by the group.  In addition I met the coordinator of the group who may be a helpful connection in the world of dietetics. 

As I become more advanced in my studies, some of the challenges of this field have presented themselves.  Organization, for example, is a key skill to have in dietetics, and there were times when I was not as adequately prepared as I should have been for classes, presentations and other endeavors.  Adequate planning done at an early stage can be a great help in becoming organized.  Also, working in groups does not always go as planned, and I’m still learning the essential task of group coordination and essential compromise.  Moving forward in my desired career path, I must take notice of what works and what doesn’t to raise both my skills and my ability to apply them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural News Article: Curcumin vs. Cancer

A Page From Life (Poem)

Help for Maui Hawaii (Updated)